Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Update from Amy

Things are going pretty well. I am relieved that the kids seem to like school and are well prepared for the curriculum. We are still trying to figure out the best way to get them to school. There is a school bus but it doesn't go by our apartment. They need to take a rickshaw to the stop. We might just have them take a rickshaw the entire distance. I have been busy just with the upkeep of the dishes, laundry, etc. It is nice to have Jamila. She does most of the laundry. We have been ordering out for dinner just about every night. It only costs between $5-$8 to feed all of us and it is a lot easier (and tastier) than me cooking every night. Unfortunately, the kids' school doesn't have a cafeteria so we have to pack their lunches. So, it looks like they will be eating a lot of PB&J. Each morning, we have milk delivered to the apartment. Then it has to be boiled before drinking. I am getting into a routine of boiling milk and water in the morning for drinking. I was hoping to join a fitness club but I don't think there are any close by. The fitness room they have here is no good. The treadmill doesn't work and the bike has no pedals. There is 1 weight machine that functions somewhat. I think I will try walking around our apartment complex today. Once the pool opens, I should be able to swim. Plus, Grace bought a jump rope so I suppose I could do that. The people across the hall from us speak pretty good English so it is easy to communicate. There is also another women in the building whose husband works with Tim. She has been very helpful.
The way of life here is kind of crazy. I was afraid that living in Bangalore, the kids wouldn't see the tremendous poverty of the people in India. Not so, it is everywhere. You see shanty towns set up along the roads and garbage all over the place. There are a ton of stray dogs. Luckily, they don't seem to come up to us when we are walking. Grace and I went for a walk down our street last night to buy her some crayons. Three goats came running down the middle of the road with bells on. It was so funny. Tonight we are meeting Tim downtown for dinner with one of his students from Purdue and his family. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the center of the city. We will take a taxi. Tim bought me an Indian style outfit so I will probably wear that tonight. Maybe I'll blend in a little better. People stare at us wherever we go and it is somewhat uncomfortable. I guess we'll get us to it. That's all for now.

4 comments:

Mary Jane Hollis said...

Hi honey,

It sounds like you are managing but I know it must be hard. I appreciate you sharing your experiences and am anxious to come but don't know how all will work out in terms of my plans. You have been very helpful to him and they appreciate it.

I talked with them on Skype last night and tonight. I am going to try to call you.

Love to all,

Mom

Lolly said...

Hi Amy,
wow, sounds very challenging, but as time goes on I'm sure it will get easier as you meet more people and get more familiar with the culture. Sounds like the kids are being real troopers.
Take care,
Love, Lolly

deranek said...

Hi Amy,

Your descriptions really paint a vivid picture. We take so much for granted. Something as simple as getting fresh milk and water from the frig. It does sound like the kids are doing well with adjusting. I'm sure they have a greater appreciation of one another too. Take care and hang tough! Know your on our minds and in our hearts.

Love,
Kim

Unknown said...

Hi Amy and Gang,

We have enjoyed hearing about your adventure thus far. I'm sure it all seems a bit surreal. Let us know if we can send you anything from West Lafayette.
We're thinking of you.
The Karpicks