Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Favorites and Longings

In this blog, each family member writes about what they enjoy the most in India, and what they miss the most from home...

Mark- I miss my friends and family the most. What I like about India is animals, like dogs (cats not so much), cows, monkeys, chickens hanging in the windows, and the chickens that are alive. I also like the school campus.

Amy- What I like about India is the vast array of sights you see wherever you go. For instance, on the ride to the kids' bus stop, we pass donkeys and cows eating garbage by the road, lots of little storefronts, people selling fruit from a cart, half clothed little kids running around, women washing clothes outside their 1 room houses, lots of stray dogs, boys playing cricket in an open field, children dressed in uniforms walking to school, a whole family squeezed onto a motorcycle. Hopefully I can take a video and post it for you all to see. There is always something fascinating going on. And the people seem content with life despite their struggles. I also like the closeness India has brought to our family.

The things I miss most are family, friends, and the simple comforts of home, e.g., a comfortable mattress, a dishwasher, a car!!!

Thomas- Like Mark, I miss my friends and family the most (including Libby). My favorite thing here is to be a part of another culture and to see the conditions of places outside the United States. Our school is pretty good and we just bought a cricket set which we have played a lot today (which is a holiday called Sankranthi in South India to celebrate the harvest).

Grace- What I miss most is my friends, mostly Freyda, Becky, Madi, Sarah and Emma. I miss my dog and my family also. I love India becase everyone is so nice to me. It is very beautiful. I love going shopping here also.

Tim- I have very much enjoyed the time together as a family. Back home, we all (including and perhaps especially yours truly) were occupied with many activities outside the family. Those activities are fine and important within limits, but this experience is enabling us to grow closer as a family with far fewer distractions. Regarding what I miss the most, I have to say my dog, Libby (no offense to my extended family--remember, Libby can't Skype, but you can).

8 comments:

Mary Jane Hollis said...

Dear All,

What a wonderful entry. I miss you all and have enjoyed so much seeing and talking with all of you.

Love Grandma

Unknown said...

Dear Fishers,

We continue to enjoy the story of your experience. Do the kids find school similar in subject matter and degree of difficulty? Do you all have any favorite new Indian food?
We look forward to your future entries.
The Karpicks

Andrea said...

Dear Thomas, I hope you are good at cricket and all your friends think you are a god at it like in basketball. If you have the time could you post the time difference so we could talk either on AIM or Skype.

-Alvaro Rotea-

Unknown said...

Hello Fisher Family! It sounds like you guys are having a blast. I talk with our software developers twice a week and they are in India (not sure where) and we Skype each other all of the time. Just got done "watching" the Boilers knock off Iowa in Iowa City (of course it is via the computer because of the Big Ten Network nightmare).

Take advantage of the time over there and travel (which I am sure you will). We look forward to hearing more stories.

The Truitt's

Lolly said...

Hi ALL,
Sounds like you are all having a great time and really getting a feel for life in India. How cool!!!
I love reading your blogs.
Love, Aunt Lolly

deranek said...

Hi Everyone,

We were surprised noone said they liked the rickshaw best. Talk about going to school in style.:) We were happy you all identified so many things you like. We're sure the list will continue to grow. Know everyone misses you all too and that we are thinking of you!

Take care!
The Deraneks

Tim Fisher said...

here's a link to an international time zone site. Indian Standard Time is 10.5 hours ahead of US Eastern Standard Time (and 9.5 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Savings Time, which you'll be on soon).

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Anonymous said...

I think give a chance, Libby would Skype with the best of them!