Sunday, January 27, 2008

Indian Classical Dance

On Friday evening we attended an Indian classical dance festival (see image with the announcement) upon the invitation of a friend and colleague at JNCASR, Umesh Waghmare, whose wife is active in this art form. I have seen a few similar performances in the past, and these performers seemed to be quite good, although I am hardly an expert. For one dance, the music was supposed to have "incorporated rap music." Indian classical music already contains some chanting elements that are similar to rap. In any case, I didn't mind the rap portion because I couldn't understand the words (which were in Kannada). If the lyrics were filled with false bravado and profanity (as our American version of rap often is), I wouldn't have enjoyed it, but as they say, ignorance is bliss.

Amy took the included photographs, and I think you'll agree that they are exceptionally good, particularly the silhouette photo.

1 comment:

Mary Jane Hollis said...

Tim,

Sounds like you enjoyed this performance. I am so impressed with all the experiences that you are exposing your family to via this journey.

I am most appreciative of the blog site. It is very well done and the pictures are great.

I am excited to visit.

Love,

MJ