Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Grandma's Visit to India

My mom arrived safely on Saturday. On Sunday, we visited the Bannerghatta National Park where we viewed spotted deer, lions, tigers, bears and elephants from a safari bus.





Sunday night, she took her first rickshaw ride. We could only find one on-duty driver, so the six of us packed into one rickshaw (try to picture that)! My mom seems to be adjusting to the change in time and culture. She has been enjoying the warmth, time with the kids and the extraordinary culture of India.
Today she went to Sukrupa with me and helped tutor some of the students. One of the older students will be making her a salwar-kameez with some fabric that my sister-in-law brought in Varanasi, India.
When we returned home, my mom got a big surprise! Apparently a bat got trapped in the hood of her jacket when it was hanging out to dry overnight (or perhaps Tim put it there - ha ha). She didn't notice it when she put it away, but when she pulled it out later, the bat fell out onto the floor. Luckily, Jamila was here and she threw it over the side of our balcony. Welcome to Bangalore!

5 comments:

Hollis Family said...

We want to talk to you soon!! We are available any evening your time. You must have freaked with that bat Mom!!

Tim Fisher said...

For the record, I did not put the bat in Grandma's clothes, but to be completely candid, part of me wishes that I had...

Lolly said...

Sure Tim!!! I like the no talking for a day idea! xxoo Lolly

Unknown said...

Hi Amy,

I'm sure it was nice having your mom visit! Sounds like things are going well. Does time seem to be going quickly for you?
Give our love to your family. We miss you!
Amy & Gang

Jim Hollis said...

Tim, why don't you just tell the truth and admit to putting the bat in MJ's cloths. I'll send the $10 I owe you soon. I didn't think you'd actually do it.

:o)