Monday, April 7, 2008

Follow-up

We will leave tomorrow for north India, where we will meet Amy's father, stepmother, and sister. Our tour will begin in Delhi and then proceed to Agra, Jaipur, and Shimla. We'll try to find the time and internet access to blog, but if not, we'll catch up upon our return.

On other topics, if you answered "between 100 and 199" in the last poll, you were correct. A whopping 126 people have formally registered to view this site. We can access rudimentary site traffic information, and usually 10 to 20 unique 'visitors' read the blog each day.

I've also kept up with my pleasure reading, having finished the following books in the past couple of weeks:
  • Peace Child by Don Richardson: This book recounts the story of Don Richardson and his family, who were 1960s missionaries to New Guinea tribes that still practiced cannibalism. The story is simply amazing (my student Kyle Smith loaned it to me, and Thomas is reading it now).
  • The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown: OK, so I hadn't read it previously and figured that I should. I was quite disappointed in the mediocre writing style. The movie was much better, in my opinion.
  • A River Sutra by Gita Mehta: This short novel describes a series of interwoven fictional stories that center on the Narmada River in India. The book is masterfully written and contains wonderful insights into the mythology and mysticism of India. Definitely a 'must read' (and thanks to my friend Shobhana for loaning it to me).

2 comments:

Jim Hollis said...

I've told my two cats to lay off the extreme sports until Jack gets back home.

Have fun in northern India.

Cheers!

Jim

Mary Jane Hollis said...

Tim,
It is always interesting to know what you are reading and get you recommendations. I think I would like to read The River Sutra.

As always I am missing you all and India!

MJ